1. Be very visible in your community…shop, walk, talk, and socialize there!
2. Be very helpful and efficient in handling all problems that your constituents give you.
3. Talk to your constituents…ask them what they think should be done in the neighborhood.
4. Knock on doors regularly even between elections to meet your constituents and get their input and feedback…make sure they have your contact information so they can call you any time of day or night.
5. Attend as many functions in your ward as possible so the people come to know you and feel welcome in seeking your help.
6. Represent the interests of your ward strongly on council.
7. Send news flyers regularly to keep your constituents informed.
8. Always ask for advice from your constituents on important city-wide issues.
9. Put out surveys asking for public input.
10. Make time for scheduled community forums where you can engage in discussion about the issues with your constituents.
11. Communicate, communicate, communicate, listen, listen, listen.
12. Set aside time regularly on a scheduled basis and in a regular location to make yourself available for consultations with individual constituents.
13. Work hard at your political job...always remember it is a 24 hour job! You are always "On Call".
14. Like Alice in Wonderland, you'll have to run as fast as you can just to stay in the same place...so keep those buns and those feet movin for your ward boy or you'll soon be out of a job.